Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dear Mom and Dad

Hi, it's your son, Alexander. I thought I'd take a stab at writing on the blog today. You both seem a little worn out and need a break. I really like being two. I've discovered some great new games but thought we should talk things over. Just in case you aren't understanding my point of view or why there's been a change in my behavior. Here's the thing; you're not always going to like or agree with the choices I make in life. I'm going to test my boundaries. I'm going to show that I want independence but still need you close enough to catch me when I fall. I'm going to fling myself to the floor and pretend to cry to see if I can manipulate you. I'm going to eat dirt. I'm going to run down the driveway until I get to the road where I will skid to a sudden stop (and laugh while you try to catch up). I'm going to open the doors to the deck and try to go outside when you aren't looking. I'm not going to take my nap 3 out of 7 days of the week. I'm going to strip out of my clothes and my diaper. Any chance I get. In fact, I'm do not like having my diaper changed and will run from you during these moments. I want to pick out my own clothes and I do not care if they match. I'm going to play with poo and not understand why I'm suddenly thrown into the bathtub or sink for a scrubbing while you retch. I'm only going to eat certain things on certain days for certain meals. I'm going to make the same choices over and over and over again. And I'm going to grin at you each time you put me in timeout. But rest assure, I am learning a lesson. I just don't want you to know it.

Please be aware that I'm going to make you the center of my world. I will light up with happiness when you walk into a room but have the confidence to know that you always will walk back into the room. A dozen times a day, I will laugh a baby giggle that causes you to laugh aloud with me. I'm going to need my binky and blankie less and less but I still want you to help me IMMEDIATELY if I have lost either item. I'm going to smother you with hugs and kisses. I'm going to wrap my arms around your legs and not let go until you pick me up so I can hug you again. I'm going to play chase and hide and seek and blocks and cars with you and be your best playmate. I'm going to cuddle in your lap. I'm going to dance and sing with you. In fact, I'm going to learn more and more words so we can have endless conversations that have no meaning. And I'm going to be super fun.

Mom and Dad, I hope this letter has cleared up any mis-understandings you may have had about my recent behavior the past few weeks. If you could just lighten up on the timeouts, that would be super. Tell you what. If you cut back on the timeouts, I'll agree to bring you beer out of the fridge at the end of the night, without being asked. And that's a win-win situation, if you ask me.

Your loving son,
Alexander

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful letter...I'm just grinning from ear to ear. That little man is alright in my book!